IF YOU LIVE IN CHAMPAIGN, I NEED TO SEE 56 OF YOU COMMENT ON THIS AND TELL ME YOU CALLED TIM JOHNSON!
His number is (202) 225-2371. Follow these directions from HRC:
- Call Rep. Johnson (202) 225-2371 before 5 p.m. ET.
- Most likely, one of the interns for Rep. Johnson will answer and ask where you're calling from and why. You're calling to express your support for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (H.R. 3017) and urge the representative to work hard to pass it. Most calls end right there. But if you like, you can add:
- In 29 states, it's legal to fire someone because they're lesbian, gay, or bisexual; in 38 states, it's legal to fire someone for being transgender.
- The American people believe in fairness and understand that employees should be judged on their merits, not on sexual orientation or gender identity.
- The Employment Non-Discrimination Act is NOT about special treatment. It simply gives these workers the same rights and protections as their colleagues.
- Mention that your representative's support of this bill will affect your future support.
- IMPORTANT: After you hang up, click here to let us know that you made the call. Don't skip this step! It helps us track our progress.
57 is the magic number. We're trying to generate 25,000 calls to Congress this week, and 57 of those have to be to Tim Johnson's office. I've already called once. Will you help me?